I have found that healthy eating falls into one of two categories:
1. Foods that are pure fuel that do all sorts of good things for your body;
2. Lighter, less gut-busting versions of foods that would normally make you feel like you’re going to explode out of your pants.
Today’s recipe is totally the latter. It’s not going to make you feel like you can lift a car or blind people with the glowiness of your skin or anything, but it provides a crunchy satisfaction that you’d normally only find at a TGI Fridays-esque restaurant. Without you having to run to the toilet or change into yoga pants!
I’m having one of those times right now. We are getting married in 17 days so I am currently feeling kind of over my head with last minute preparations. Beyond happy, too, because I am so excited to be marrying Jonny, but over my head nonetheless. As I have told you about recently, in the past an occasion this emotional would have made me eat everything in sight. But between some heavy duty self love and recipes like these Oven Fried Green Beans that allow veggies to dress up as fun food, I am just fine.
PS I’ll be on blogging hiatus to give the last stages of wedding prep and our honeymoon my full attention, but please keep my blog warm while I’m gone! I’ll have guest posts from some amazing women that I’m very excited to share with you.
PPS Also, because of the experience with our Shave the Date and my snaggletooth that got people physically sick, we were recently flown out to LA to be guests on The Jeff Probst show to talk about snarking! I’ll post the air date as soon as I get it, but in the meantime, check out the interview on BlogHer I did about it.
PPPS Since I’ve already told you that trying on bridal gowns involved heavy-duty nipple-flashing, I also feel comfortable telling you that in the name of bridal beauty I am currently sporting 1)two full armpit bushes that I have to let grow out so I can get them waxed right before the wedding and 2)a trial spray tan that I got in hopes of radiating beauty but instead I am just… Magda.
Crunchy Oven-Fried Green Beans
1 lb green beans, cleaned, trimmed, and thoroughly dried
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
½ tsp pepper, plus more to taste
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
pinch of cayenne pepper
juice and zest of 1 lemon
Yield: 2 big servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, all seasonings, lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.
- One by one, dip each green bean in egg, shake off any excess, coat well with green bean mixture, then place breaded green beans on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, turning gently once, until browned and crispy.